Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The Harlot In the Powder-Pink Dress

I walked home through the wind and the rain and the cold. I didn't know what to do. I was terrified of what I would find when I reached my flat. Would it have been destroyed? Worse, would Andy have harmed Bella the Cat? I walked around the block several times before approaching the flat. There was a puddle of blood - my blood - beside the staircase. A trail of blood led to my door. I slipped the key into the lock and pushed the door open. 'Bella, Bella,' I called. Silence. Nothing. I panicked. My voice grew high, desperate, Then I heard a familiar 'Miaow' and Bella emerged, trotting towards me. She purred and rubbed herself against my legs. I didn't care about myself but I would have guillotined the prick of anyone who had harmed her. I poured some food into a bowl and placed it on the floor. Bella pounced on it and wolfed it down.

I was so cold, frozen to the core. I turned the heating up - I was sorely tempted to smash my way into that bastard's flat and use the swordstick to eviscerate him.
What madness had he driven me to?

And then the 'phone rang.
My heart lurched. Hesitantly, I lifted the receiver. It was a woman who announced that she was calling from Parkside Police Staion and that the police would like to interview me regarding 'the incident that occurred last night'. I was perplexed. I hadn't even reported 'the incident'. (At that point I was seriously considering administering my own form of justice.)

'I don't intend to make a complaint,' I told her.

'Well, I'm sorry but we intend to press charges and besides, the male in question is in custody.' Feeling browbeaten, I agreed to make a statement. I hung up and panic surged through me. Andy had been arrested and had spent the night in gaol. I couldn't face yet another interrogation. More suspicious eyes gawping at me, more implications that I had somehow provoked Andy into attacking me. Above all, I was afraid they would send a man who would be sure to take Andy's side; to view the whole incident from Andy's perspective. I was drunk and clearly 'up for it'. It was a crime of passion and perfectly understandable given the way in which he was so shamelessly provoked by that harlet in the powder-pink dress. One thing was certain, I could not face the interview alone. Now was the time to find out who my real friends were.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home