Thursday, June 15, 2006

Snobbery Reunited

Class prejudice is the New Racism, it would seem. Both are bad as each other but, it seems, that, as we approach the end of the first decade of the Twenty First Century it seems as though the 'lower classes' are 'fair game' The Poll on 'SnobsReunited' elicited a wide range of differing responses. Hardly anyone admitted to being 'Working Class' Some were cheerleaders for their own class - lower-middle, middle, upper-middle. I was pleased to see some questioning the very validity of the class system.

I am one of those people who has a rather covoluted background - ostensibly, not terribly well off - but my parents own their own property and are paying the mortgage on my flat.

I tried to remain aloof from the thread but was dragged in anyway. 'I choose not to be classified,' was my reply. Another poster commented, 'Don't worry. Even if you don't do it, someone else will do it for you.' to which I retorted, I'm not worrying. At the moment I am in a position in employment and uni which makes it easy to dismiss the simplistic views of others. What other people think of me is none of my concern.

Besides I spent my teenage years in Youth theatre so, with me, what you see isn't necessarily what you'll get.

I've always wondered why such scorn is poured upon certain members of society for the class into which they were born - a little irrational because, as far as I am aware an individual has no control over the circumstances into which they were born. Unless you know something I don't. Perhaps there was some kind of pre-birth gladiatorial contest, the outcome of which was to determine our status in life.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

10:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home