Thursday, May 12, 2005

More Drama

More drama and heated debates on that forum I frequent. (a la The Mrs Merton Show ) . I lost my 'home on the web' along time ago. An eating disorders support group, intended, as the name suggests, to provide peer-to-peer support for people suffering from (yes, you've guessed it) eating disorders. It imploded (inadvertently assisted by me when I objected to the hypocrisy and deception that were rife on there towards the end). I now avoid 'support' groups because, frequently, the last thing in the world they are is 'supportive'. Towards the end it was replete with bickering, one-upmanship and 'survival of the sickest'. You know, the 'I'm the only gay in this village' syndrome. (Little Britain). The forum I frequent now has changed its name a few times and used to be affiliated to Usenet. Unlike many other V-Bulletin Fora it has a very enigmatic administrator. I first encountered him back in 2001 when he used to post in certain technical newsgroups on Usenet and I was doing my MPhil and carting Andy (aka: The Pseudo Messiah) back and forth to evening classes at the local sixth form college where he was studying for A-levels in psychology and law.



Andy inevitably gave up on his studies. What a surprise. After I had accompanied him to every lesson, to take notes for him because of his deteriorating sight...

Anyway, back to 'The Forum Which Shall Remain Nameless'. The Enigmatic Administrator is the brother of a rather famous newspaper columnist (a star that rose and then imploded just as fast). He is the author of a number of novels (now out of print), all chronicling the Money Is God philosophy that many adhered to in the late '80s/early '90s. (Ah, yes, I remember it well!) An ex-boyfriend of mine was acquainted with the Enigmatic Admin's brother. Small world, huh? The Enigmatic Admin goes to great lengths to disguise his identity but the details of his life are but a click of a mouse away. It amazes me that people ten years younger than me, people who have imbibed this technology with their mother's milk haven't quite worked that out yet. In the words of the immortal Kryten in Red Dwarf: 'Smug Mode!' . I'd like to send a message to Enigmatic Administrator: if you wish to keep your identity secret then, for God's sake, urge your brother to quit boasting about you in national newspapers.

Acclaim or anonymity - your choice.

Oh, and another vent about this particular forum. They have the prime candidate for The Worst Mod In The Universe. She was there for five minutes and was upgraded to mod status. She and I have had many disagreements. Not least about 'feminism'. 'I despise uber-feminists,' she states. (In other words all feminists.) Fine, then relinquish the right to vote. And give up the right to study. Because, without feminists, she wouldn't have the right to do either.

My very humble opinion:

Anatomy is not destiny
Class origin is not destiny
Race is not destiny
Character is destiny.

Unfortunately, many of the so called hyper-intellectuals on that forum would beg to differ.
And I find that terrifying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home