Monday, September 19, 2005

The Bureaucrat's Betrayal

A decade ago
In a university town
It was 0ver
I was bereft
There was nothing left

And this small city too vast
Even for me..............

So I stepped into your office
And words exploded in my brain
And Serendipity was to dictate
What followed, of that I was certain.

So I stepped beyond the threshold
And the man to whom I was introduced
Patted by hands and covered me in chocolate
Which I later used for finger painting
On the Public Ward.

You took me aside
You promised me the world
Or at least a fragment of it
That is all I require, I replied

And a decade on
I have my fragment
And the first Mrs Rochester
Bleeds above me
And the psuedo-messiah
Leads his disciples in prayer below me

How many times has the world turned
Since we first met - a decade, I think
And now you fail to acknowledge me
And you turn away. You harden against me

And nothing has changed
For either of us
And perhaps that is at the core
Of your bitterness

And I step out into the small city
A city still too vast for me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home