Monday, October 17, 2005

Bella: A Tribute

Mein Katz: - composed of fur and blood and bone. Mortal. Old. Liquid eyes staring at me. She will not be with me forever. I always had this insane notion that she was a physical manifestation of the baby my mother aborted when I was nineteen, having risen like a phoenix from whatever deep, dark place in which she was imprisoned. And then she turned up one day, unexpectedly, on my door step. Insanity? Maybe. I have always been terrified that she would desert me but she never has. She has always remained faithful. A friend to me but not to the wounded birds she drags home as gifts for me. And I am forced to feign gratitude. She touched a heart that remained untouched for years. She broke through the layers of ice in which I had sought refuge. She seems to understand me than any member of my own species. I don't want to let her go. But I may have to.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miz said...

It's such a hard thing, letting them go, but it is what loving pet parents do.

4:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home