Friday, November 04, 2005

Reply

A meteor shower could be seen from the North West yesterday as I played R.E.M's 'It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I feel fine)'. I told my cat but she just looked back at me with her big eyes, unaware of the implications of what I was saying.

'This is the way the world ends. Not wth a bang but a whimper'

Emily Dickinson

I have 'thrown down the gauntlet' to Royal and Sun Alliance. I received a reply to this e-mail today:

To Whomever it May Concern

(This is the third copy of this e-mail)

I am writing to complain about the recent unprofessional treatment meted out to me by representatives of your company. On March 26 this year there was a fire in the apartment above me. There is, as yet, no clue to the cause of this fire although my neighbour Mr. N. Clarke and I voiced our suspicions to the representative you sent round a few days later. When the organisation subcontracted came to take the belongings I had to be fixed he asked me if I had been burgled and treated me in a most impertinent manner. I received no further correspondence from you until early October when I rang Ms Zara Ashraf in order to inform myself of the status of my claim. To my surprise I received a letter which contained the following

There is a principle underlying all insurance contracts - it is the continuing duty of 'utmost good faith'*. This required honesty and openness on the part of both policy and policyholder. It is clear that you have not complied with this principle in the manner in which you have submitted that claim to us**

Our underwriters take a very serious view of such matters and, so as a result, they are not prepared to continue providing cover. Your policy is, therefore, void from the date of your claim, 26 March 2005***. This means that cover was not operative at the time of your loss and we are unable to consider your claim.


*I have exhibited nothing but good faith throughout, ensuring I had a witness at every turn and simply following instructions issued to me by them. (the underwriters).

**What \'manner\'? I did as the city council suggested.

***The 26th March was the night of the fire - a mistake with the date there methinks.

I would like a fuller explanation as to the reason for this treatment, given that I followed the instructions of your insurance representative to the letter, assisted by a very good friend, a war veteran, of exemplary character who is prepared to act as my witness should legal action need to be taken on either side of this dispute.\r\n

Incidentally, this letter was dated 5/8/05 but I did not receive it until 8/19/05
In addition to this you have retained all of the items you took from me
1. My laptop
2. My lamp
3. My Mini Disk Player\r\n
4. My HP Printer.

I also demand that you either prove beyond reasonable doubt that some kind of misdemeanour has been committed by me or repair my goods and reinstate my policy. Failure to comply with this could lead to referral to the Ombudsman and even to the courts.

yours faithfully,
Marie Louise Noonan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home