Saturday, May 14, 2005

Insured - Or Maybe Not

What exactly is the point of home-contents insurance, if, when you make a claim, they do everything in their power to avoid paying out? I think the whole thing is what is generally known as a 'swizz'. As a friend said they start from basis that you are somehow trying to cheat them and the other innocent policy holders (I think that's called 'divide and conquer') and then they place so many obstacles in your path that you eventually say 'F*** this for a game of snakes and ladders' and withdraw your claim. Apparently, they even have voice analysis on their telephones and if you sound nervous or upset or anxious they use this as evidence that you are lying. Riiiiiight...and I'm not supposed to sound anxious and upset after going through a traumatic ordeal.

I put this to a rather rude guy on the other end of the 'phone when I rang to respond to yet another letter querying my claim. His response was: 'If I had a pound for every policy-holder who's said that to me.' I guess it's never occurred to him that people keep saying it because it's true. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then there's a good chance it may well be a duck.

The adviser I spoke to at the citizens' advice bureau had a rather different perspective: 'If I had a pound for every client who came in here experiencing problems with insurance companies who refuse to pay up I think I'd be a billionaire.'

I have an insurance policy with Lloyd's Bank (I purchased insurance from there because they are a bank I have had dealings with ever since I was a child. I opened an account with them when I was about six and got a welcome pack which included one of those 'black horse' money boxes) but it is underwritten by Royal and Sun Alliance, who seem to underwrite just about every other high-street bank's insurance policy so the consumer doesn't have that much choice.

I have fourteen days to answer their 'queries'. I see the Royal and Sun Alliance (an ultra powerful multinational company) as a steam-roller coming towards me but I have no intention of moving.

I didn't get the opportunity to speak to the woman who raised these queries but I hope she looks good enough to appear on Watchdog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home