Thursday, September 29, 2005

Eternal Differences

'Don't you see that this all leads to comfort in the end? It is part of the battle against sameness. Differences - eternal differences - planted by God in a single family so that there may always be colour.'

Howards End, E.M. Forster

I have identified two new mental illnesses: pathological nostalgia (the fixed idea that the past was always, always much better than the present; that it was not only another country but also a Utopia). And Polarisation Complex: the pathological need to divide the world into two neat halves - be it by gender, race, creed or sexuality. I do hope the pharmaceutical companies come up with a cure for these newly identified illnesses soon.

Life is a whirl. A mad, mad whirl. I saw a council official last week about Little Miss Pyromaniac but I got the impression that she was a mere cog in a wheel, sent to temporarily placate me. Meanwhile LMP continues to crash and bang upstairs. Want your flat refurbished? Want that new kitchen? Then set fire to it! Doug was present at my interview and the official waltzed off to make her report. I saw a light on in the window of my neighbour from hell - they've only gone and artexed her ceiling - crime really does pay. My mother, as always, is urging me not to rock the boat. Well, sorry, Mother, I don't take after you. I am not naturally masochistic. I do not suffer from Terminal Doormat Syndrome.

In the meantime my father is very ill.

And on that uplifting note...

That's all folks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home